We believe in the importance of beyond the classroom experiences. In addition to academic qualifications, students benefit from a wealth of social, interpersonal and leadership prospects to enhance not only their CVs, but their personal development.
Student Ambassador programme: providing students opportunities to work with staff, students and partner academies and get involved with events. This aims to aid the development of communication skills, management of events, planning and organising.
Transition Ambassadors: working in close partnership with all of our academies, students support events at their previous secondary academy e.g., Parent Evenings, Open Events, Post-16 events, Sports Day and within Longley Park Sixth Form Academy to create a relatable student for prospective students to be able to ask questions to and ensure a smooth transition.
Career Academy: students interview for the Career Academy scheme. Successful applicants are mentored by external companies leading to Internships.
Enrichment and Experiences
A broad and enviable enrichment programme complements the strength of our academic offer. This includes but is not limited to:
- University trips including University of Hull, University of Sheffield and Oxbridge visits.
- Duke of Edinburgh.
- Daily Mirror NextGen Project: students working on live projects with the Daily Mirror.
- Speakers for Schools provide high profile guest speakers – e.g., Stephanie Flanders, Suzie Bailey
- NHS speakers day long careers in the NHS.
- Project You+ - Clubs and Societies (Book club, Chess Club, LGBTQ Society, Debating Society, Car Maintenance, Guitar Lessons, Clubbercise, STEM Club). Read more here
- London Trip cultural capital and employability event.
- Workshops and conferences.
- National and international trips.
- A wide range of clubs.
- Each curriculum area annually fulfils the student entitlement of the Gatsby benchmarks bespoke to course and level. (meeting an employer and visit to the workplace)
A rich programme of celebration events are built into the academic year. These include:
- Awareness half terms including Black History Month, Longley Park Sixth Form Academy Remembers, LGBT History Month, International Women’s Day, Mental Health, World Environment.
- Students with 100% attendance are rewarded every half term for good attendance.
- Freshers Fair at the beginning of the year for students to sign up to a range of different opportunities that are calendared in over the course of the year including enrichment activities and experiences.
- Student ambassadors and student council are given different lanyards to demonstrate their role.
Students’ progress is routinely tracked and monitored by tutors. Where necessary contracts are put in place to effect change.
- Academic Tutors offer pastoral support for students.
- Weekly tutorial session focussing on employability, progression and PSHE, preparing students for the wider world.
- Support for progression destination: apprenticeships, traineeships, employment or University.
- General coaching and motivation support
- Learning support aims to support students with additional needs both inside and outside of lessons.
- Wellbeing workers run drop in and 1-1 sessions with students who are vulnerable or struggling with external issues that impact on their wellbeing
- 2 external counsellors.
Partnerships are integral to the success of our academy.
- The Brigantia Learning Trust and our associated academies provide direction, leadership and the sharing of best practise and resources.
- Heppsy: supporting students to progress to university through university visits and guest speakers and application support.
- SBT (Sheffield Business Together): large number of external employers from industry that are matched with different curriculum areas to support activity around the Gatsby benchmarks.
- Chamber of Commerce: this is a new relationship that has affiliated businesses across the Sheffield region that can be drawn upon to offer opportunities, to support the Gatsby benchmarks.
- Careers Enterprise Company: we have a longstanding relationship with the CEC and have 2 co-ordinators from Henry Boot to support our Careers activity. Longley and the CEC have begun work developing a NE Careers Hub.
- Sheffield City Region Careers Hub: a new careers hub that offers careers support to all Sheffield schools, sixth form and colleges.
- HLM Architects partnership working with SHU and HLM to develop L6 routes into architecture.
- Ahead Partnership developing employability links and events.
- Partnership agreements with 8 universities.
- Gym, large assembly halls
- Computer suites.
- Large Independent Learning Centre designed on university libraries.
- Pathways (careers hub) in the centre of the building.
- Large canteen.
- Small café on first floor.
- Courtyard and garden.
- Wellbeing space.
- Offsite sports facilities.
HumanUtopia - The experience is designed to empower young people to develop critical life skills and take motivation and ownership of their education. We are certain that this will be a positive and memorable experience for our students and feel it is a perfect complement to their academic studies.
All Level 3 Year 1 students complete one day of identification of personal qualities and skills to achieve in education. Individual students opt for Human Utopia Hero training and work with academies across the Trust.
As the only Post-16 provider within the Brigantia Learning Trust, Longley Park Sixth Form Academy plays an active role in careers support, guidance and fairs across the Trust, providing advice and support.